Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

An Oliver Twist kind of day

Today my mother and I did a little shopping at Salvation Army. My mother wanted a small set of shelves that she could stand on her desk and put supplies on. Of course, she didn't find what she wanted, but that doesn't mean that we left empty-handed. I found this little guy among the pictures and picture frames. I have to admit that I'm a sucker for "orphan needlework" and this scarecrow is too cute. Plus, at only 99 cents, it wasn't a big investment. Someday, my own work might sit on thrift store shelves, and I hope some needleworker will take pity.


The scarecrow is stitched on 14ct white aida, but needs some cleaning, so I'll take it out of the frame. There are tiny green beads on the patch on his left leg and two little buttons on the straps of his overalls. This looks like a Leisure Arts design, but I'm not sure. The stitching is beautiful. Someone put a lot of love into this project.




While we were out, DH took in his own orphan. Long story short, this little guy was rescued from traffic in NYC, but the person who rescued him couldn't keep him. I'm not sure if we'll be able to keep him either. It all depends on how our dog and two adult cats react.



For now, his name is Yoda. I've been telling our dachshund that, while the kitten may be Yoda, she is the Jedi master with a young padewan to teach. Think she'll buy it?

No comments:

Post a Comment