Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Tempus fugit and all that...

We seem to be going through an extended period of "life gets in the way."  DH's illness has forced us to reevaluate a few things.  Among the changes in our lives, we've been downsizing our possessions.  I've wanted to do this for a few years now, but I have to say that it's an endless process, sometimes satisfying and sometimes depressing.  You can find some neat things that you forgot you had, but you also find things that make you wonder why you ever wanted them.  Sometimes it's easy to let go of things, and sometimes it's hard.  But so far, I haven't gotten rid of anything that I later regretted giving away.

2015's ort jar
The worst part of downsizing is that I haven't had much time for stitching for a few months now.  My plan for finishing 15 UFOs last year stalled and fizzled out as I started sorting books and dvds and clothes.  But I did manage to achieve 10 finishes, which I'm happy about.  This year, I don't have any specific plans for what to stitch.  I'm working on a present for later this year, so no pictures of that until after the event.  I plan to participate in my EGA chapter's UFO Challenge, but I haven't yet chosen which UFOs to enter.  There isn't much time to devote to very large projects, so whatever new projects I start this year will be small ones.

I still find some time to read, and over the winter I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and its two sequels.  I really enjoyed them although I thought the last book in the trilogy was a bit weak because Lisbeth Salander wasn't in very much of it.  One of the characters in the series, Mikael Blomkvist, mentions Jan Guillou, who writes spy novels about a spy nicknamed Le Coq Rouge.  One of those novels, Enemy's Enemy, has been on my TBR shelf forever, so I read it next, but didn't enjoy it that much.  Currently, I'm reading John Le Carre's The Night Manager and I'm hoping that Masterpiece will broadcast the BBC adaptation soon.

Hopefully, it won't take another six months for me to write here again!

No comments:

Post a Comment